Sunday, April 11, 2010

Kick-Ass

Wow, yet another review. I remember when I started this intending to do reviews and occasionally segments like Villain Spotlight.

Okay, Robert, do not read this. It will ruin the film, do NOT read it if you do not want spoilers. Okay, I'm not going to go through the whole plot, but what I have to say will spoil it for you.

Let me start out by saying that a film title has never been so appropriatly titled. Well except maybe..


The film follows Dave, a teenager who is cmpletley unextraordinary. Except for his super narrating powers that is. He dares to wonder why nobody has ever tried to be a superhero in real life. He buys a suit off the internet and proceeds to start training, eventually coming into contact with vigilates Hit-Girl, Big Daddy and Red Mist, who undoubtedly put him to shame.

Though he already has his trusty batons (they came with the suit) Dave (calling himself Kick-Ass) soon developes a (very) low resistance to pain and injury due to reconstructive surgery after his first botched attempt at saving the day. He also gets a pretty inneffective tazer from somewhere.

This film is like, DAMN! Like I said, the title dosn't lie to you, this film is 100% kickass! Every superhero in the film is awesome. Kick-Ass is awesome because he holds his own in the whole thing, Big Daddy is like what Tim Burton's Batman coul've been but (thankfully) didn't, Hit-Girl is probably one of the biggest badasses in film history (quite an accomplishment, as she is only 11), and Red-Mist...I guess he's pretty funny, and has a cool car. Each superhero gets at least one crowning moment of Awesome each (Kick-Ass and Hit-Girl in particuler).

Okay, I guess I had better get into some of the bad things about the film. Yes, believe it or not, there are bad things about this film. To start off with is one that is only for me, and that I personally don'y understand myself. Kick-Ass is based on a comic that came out in 08' and has already become a film. So, I ask you how we get this when characters like Wonder Woman and Captain America have been around for years, and Cap's only cinematic contributions have been less than...bad. So, this naturally irritated me. However, I soon came to see that the film looked pretty good, and I really didn't care that much in the end. But still, there's a little voice in my head telling me that I hate this movie. I ignore it, but it's still there.

Next is Hit-Girl and Big Daddy, their storyline takes over the final act top the pont where Kick-Ass seems like a side character. He still plays a big part, but he still seems like they just needed him there. By what I've read they didn't change the ending except for making it more elaborate, and his love story goes better for him, but it still seems that way. Fortunatley, this part was made up of several CMoA's so I can't say I was dissapointed. Also, Kick-Ass gets a device that feels very out of place in the movie, and realistic at the same time, so I don't know what to make of that.

Next, did they really have to kill THAT many people? Kick-Ass never took a pledge to not kill people, but at the end where he kills about four guys, it seems pretty out of place. And then there's Hit-Girl and Big Daddy. Some of their actions are downright villainous, such as burning down a lumber yard, which Kick-Ass and Red Mist get caught in. Admittedly it was full of dead bad guys, but still, nobody comments on it? Big Daddy himself is pretty brutal. This wouldn't be so bad, except that I actually felt sorry for the criminals running away from him. Then Hit-Girl at the end goes to a building and kills almost EVERYONE! Now, I know this was the bad guy's hideout, but at least one of those guys had to be innocent. The bellhop may have very well been a henchman who was obsessed with getting a gun, but he shows genuine kindness to what he thinks is a lost little girl, and gets shot in the head for it.

This isn't really a bad thing, but it was pretty hard to watch Kick-Ass confront people who were obviously going to crush him. Especially when they did crush him. But the second time he tries it, he gets a CMoA and I guess a bit of a CMoH. Good on you, Kick-Ass.

Now, this is actually a question, but is the series ongoing or a mini-series? Wikipedia lists it as an ongoing, but hasn't updated the story beyond that of the movie. I know Wikipedia isn't that reliable, but I still don't know what the deal is. Also since the writers talk about the next book. What? Do you mean Issue? Next year of issues? What?

Also, it dosn't really come up very much in the actual movie, so...did we really, really, REALLY have to know how much he...does things to himself? It just seemed weird.

Anywhoo, Kick-Ass definatley delivers what it promises, which is why so many critics are stupid for telling us that this MA movie isn't suitable for kids, and is thus bad! You are critics, you study movies as your job. You should know that a film named Kick-Ass is not intended for children. The word Ass is in the name! How can you make a mistake like that? StupidstupidSTUPIDcritics!

1 comment:

  1. Well I heard the reason why this got a movie so soon is because the only reason the guy did the comic.

    I agree Kickass almost become a side character but he was the main character until the final act for, right up until when Big Daddy and Kickass are being tortured.

    Also I found out that the comic is ongoing but the next part has only just been started on.

    I'll say more in my own review.

    ReplyDelete