Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Son of a Bitch: Linkara vs. Image.


Okay, this isn't actually a complaint, so I think I might change the title in future. This is just a little thing that annoys me a tiny bit.

Linkara's show, Atop the Fourth Wall is based around reviewing bad comics, and admittedly he's let at least one decent comic fly, on a whole he seems pretty hateful towards most of them. Now, I'm not going to say he hates them in real life, I doubt he actually yells at bad comics while he reads them, that's just cos it's funny, and he's never reviewed a comic I have personally owned, or even given a bad review to a series I buy (except Maxx, but I don't buy that any more, and it was moreso because he just didn't get it. In fact, I don't think I got it either). But I noticed that while multiple DC and Marvel comics appear because he schedules his show that way, I noticed that Image has appeared quite a few times when he does independents. Looking back on those years I missed, I can't say he's wrong, they were very misguided and some of the stuff they made was just terrible.

But that's the thing, it WAS terrible. In recent years, the company's really picked up it's feet. I'm sure it's still got problems, but I obviously don't pick up that many books that contain them. Unlike characters of Marvel and DC, I don't think he's ever stated that the book eventually got better. Youngblood was cancelled, but it picked up again and got really popular. Heck, Alan Moore had a run! Logic dictates that would improve it at least a little.

He's also never pointed out that while Pitt was a terrible comic, he didn't mention that he's managed to become popular enough to be brought back for multiple guest appearances, mini-series and action figures.

In fact, he never really points out that Image has a plethora of quality comics. My guess is that he's aware of this because he only really reviews stuff from the early years, but I don't recall him ever pointing out that they're some good ones now. Take Invincible for instance, it is a perfect example of what he's talking about.

Invincible is probably Image's most popular title, and it embodies nothing of the early years. He dosen't kill, carry guns, look ridiculous, and his name certainly isn't EXTREME! And it's one of their bestselling titles! It proves his point!

Then there's his joking about the shared universe. I know they didn't actually appear in each others comics, but what's so strange about a shared universe? Maxx thought Mako the Sharkman from Savage Dragon, and Spawn and Youngblood regularly crossed sides. Heck, Spawn was sent to hell after being killed by Chapel!
Okay, this ones a bit strange, cos the Image Universe is much different nowadays. WHile most of the comapnies characters exist side by sidem it isn't really the same continuity. The best example I can think of? The Earth was destroyed in Savage Dragon. I don't really get it myself, so I can't really explain, but the planet was destroyed, and it didn't in any other comic at the time. But several issues earlier, Dragon fought Spawn, and this apparently happened in his universe too. I can't say about it any more, because while they have a shared universe, it's weird.

So, this isn't so much as anger as mild confusion. I don't think he hates Image, I just think he...I don't know his opinion, and I don't have an opinion on what it is. I just thought I'd get this off my back.





Though I must admit, I do like how he hasn't mentioned Savage Dragon. Hopefully that stays off his radar.

4 comments:

  1. Linkara does seem to only complain about the early years of image, so I presume he knows it gets better.

    Pitt got popular? That is sad on so many levels.

    His problem with the shared universe seemed to me to be more because they kept shoving down the readers throats that they were in the same universe. It was less they existed in the same universe and more that they kept telling us this at times when we didn't need it. It would be like Batman randomly telling Robin something about Superman, it would be entirely pointless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm assuming the character got popular. By your logic, Hulk should be stupid too. But then again, I guess Hulk has better things to do than walk around talking to meaningless aliens in alleyways. Besides, at the very least he looked cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hulk also had the fact that he was a scientist part of the time, Pitt was just incredibly bed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least the authority figures in his book were intelligent.

    Plus, I think his popularity stems from the action sequences more than anything. Invincible War gave him a CMoA when he singlehandedly took out one of the clones. If it helps, he may have fallen to his death afterwards.

    ReplyDelete