Friday, March 5, 2010

Alice in Wonderland.

Last night I went and saw Alice in Wonderland. Was I impressed? Let's find out.

Okay, from what I had originally heard, the film was another adaption of the story. Eventually I learnt that Burton was going to do it as a sequel to the books in order to add some new twists to it. And THEN I learnt that he was planning on having characters stick around to create a proper supporting cast. And THEN I went and saw the film and found out that the film was ACTUALLY a new story altogethor with the same characters and themes. Which made it very hard to enjoy if you've spent this much time thinking the opposite. And not to mention getting to the cinemas was hectic enough. My mother gets a Crowning Moment of Awesome for actually finding a carpark in time to get in before the film got too far, just as I was buying tickets for today.

What helped even less was that the part where she enters Wonderland was virtually exactly how every other version had depicted it. Albiet, there was some mild lampshading, but seriously, you set the wrong tone!

And then, once she's in Wonderland, we just get half the cast thrown right at us. The caterpillar (he had a name, but I can't be bothered remembering) was cool with Alan Rickman's voice, but he was just treated strangley in my opinion and could have been cut, the same with Tweedledee and Tweedledum, they were funny, but didn't have to be there. The Mad Hatter was definatley my favorite character, but even though I think Johnny Depp is an awesome actor, I have to say I had a little big of trouble following him at times. He was definatley mad though.

But, once I accepted that this wasn't a retelling, I very easily fell into the atmosphere of the film and had a jolly good time. I also liked The Jabberwocky. Admittedly I didn't like how he was a basic dragon, but I forgave that when I realised it didn't fly, which was actually kind of cool. And Christopher Lee's voice acting was okay, but I have to say it could have been cut, but I guess they really wanted him to do the voice.

Helena Bonham Carter may be one of Burton's staples, but I don't feel she did a very good job. She just yelled and whined, and I know that's the Red Queen/Queen of Heart's job, but she's also supposed to have menace about herself, I did not feel menaced (word?).
Alice herself seemed a bit odd, but she grew on me after a while. And yes, I'm aware that what I just said counts as a pun because she grows and shrinks in the film.

The climax at the end was done well, even if it seemed a little strange for an Alice film. Though Alice's Post Mortem One-Liner was clever, it seemd somewhat forced.

And finally, the basic 'Everything's Hunky Dory, Oh No Bad Things are Happening' flashback didn't do anything for me at all.

But asides from that, I thought the film was pretty good. I'd probably see it again even.

1 comment: