Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Image United.




Today I'm gonna talk about Image United. I've only read the first two issues, so this isn't an actual review.

The series is Image's answer to the massive vent comics that surrounde Marvel and DC. Unlike most other Event Comics, it sort of screw around with continuity. Wait, did I actually just say that? My bad. Like most event comics, Image United screws around with continuity. It's written by Robert Kirkman and illustrated by a number of Image's top guys.

The story is simple...and I do mean SIMPLE. Big Bad Guy makes other bad guys go nuts, superheroes try to stop him. But that' not why we read it. We read it cos there's lots of fighting.

After only two issues, I can honestly say that I am really enjoying it. Unfortunatley the critics don't seem to agree. In fact, apparently rge reviews have actually been negative. At first I had no idea why. It's like an event comic, it just shows the important stuff, such as the mass fights that are enveloping the world. But then, I figured some stuff out.

The artwork is somewhat inconsistant. In one scene, Spawn is in his most famous getup, but then we see him in his more blobbish and basic look that he's been using for a few issues, then never goes back.
Issue 1 ends with the character Fortress locked up by Shaft of Youngblood for assaulting Savage Dragon, which is actually a result of his robo-suit malfunctioning. As the world goes to hell, Shaft bursts in, as Fortress has been declaring that he knows what's happening. Then they reappear in Issue 2, Shaft is acting like Fortress is wasting his time. Admittedly, he has lives to save, but he's the one who came to Fortress!

Also, while it's called Image United, and there's a ton of Image Characters, it seems to be focussing more on Youngblood and Savage Dragon. That's good for Dragon fans like me, but heck, the Big Bad is the original Spawn, and he seems like just one of the many villains running around, even if he's targetting the new Spawn. Witchblade appears and fights, but she dosn't have a story going on, she just arrives and starts fighting. ShadowHawk is trying to join Youngblood, so that basically makes him part of their story, and if I'm right, Fortress was made specifically for the series as a main characters. He hasn't done all that much compared to Dragon or Youngblood.

Then there's the mass of villains and heroes who appear. I love this aspect, cos it makes me want to buy more Image comics to see them with their proper personalities, but it also shows how unoriginal they can be. At one stage a hospital is attacked, and we get, "Super Strong Guy1" then "Super Strong Guy with Nazi Tattoo" then "Super Strong Guy who is Some Kind of Moose." Admittedly, they did look cool, but it was like looking at alternate costumes for the same character.

I'm also not understanding why Invincible isn't appearing. He appeared in Savage Dragon, and virtually everyone and more here appeared in Invincible War. I'm assuming he dosn't fit into the more gritty world of the rest of Image, but still. And I'm not confused because Kirkman's writing the series, I think he's probably the one who decided it.

One more nitpick, and this one is VERY petty. In the first issue, Fortress looks upon the heroes who the story focuses on and declares that they are not the worlds greatest heroes, but what is left. What the Funk and Wagnall is he talking about? You've got Spawn, who was created by Malebolgia, who is pretty much The Devil if he didn't already exist, Dragon, who has saved the world numerous times and is without a doubt more capable than the entire Police Force, and freaking Youngblood. I'm not a fan, but dammit, they're the flagship team of Image, just like how Spawn is their Spider-Man (you McFarlane fans can count that as a mythology joke if you wish), they have to be at least effective!

Still, I can't say it deserves such negative reviews. The only real problem is that while it's supposed to be canon, I don't think the usual event comics tie into the main series, and I don't think they did that here. I can sort of understand lackluster sales, but so long as it's not flopping, it's all good, right?

Also, Dragon's daughter's name is Battle Girl. Serious? Her real name, Angel, makes a much better superhero name. Admittedly I don't think she's actually called Battle Girl that much, but still. I'll admit, Larsen tends to give his characters names like this a fair bit. We get fellows with monickers like, "Killcat" or "SuperPatriot" or even "Buster Justice," but they seem to be done on purpose. Still, Battle Girl? If it was her usual name, that'd just be lazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment