Friday, July 30, 2010

Toy Story 3.

To infinity and beyond the crappy 3D overcoat!

For many people, Toy Story was the first film they ever saw. Not me. The first film I ever saw was either Space Jam or The Wiggles Movie. However Toy Story is one of those films that impacted my life and shook the foundations of my mind as a child. Almost half the dialogue registers in my mind as something other than movie quotes, it registers as pure nostalgia, as if the feeling was a a delicious chocolate bar or something.

For those of you who have never seen a movie, and therefore Toy Story, the film followed Woody, a cowboy doll who is the Sheriff in charge of Andy's Room. His respect and status as Andy's favorite toy is suddenly rocked by the appearance of Buzz Lightyear, a Space Ranger action figure who also happens to be completely unaware that he is in fact a toy. Woody becomes jealous and ends up getting Buzz lost outside the house. The two eventually have to get along when they are both trapped inside the house of the local bully, Sid.

The sequel wasn't as good, but considering how brilliant the first film was, that isn't a bad thing at all. It was still an excellent film that went beyond what looked like he worlds biggest oppertunity for product placement, and added Jessie The Cowgirl and Bullseye the Horse to the main cast.

Now when I first discovered the film would be coming out, I was excited, but I wasn't thinking that it would be that phenomenal to me. Besides, the plot was summed up as 'The Toys get donated to a Kindergarden" which I found pretty lame. And from the ads, I was starting to worry that Pixar was starting to lose their creative edge...

As it turns out, this is one of the few films I have ever seen that I have virtually no complaints about. I'm serious. While there are a number of things I could point out and gripe about, the film was so well done I couldn't be bothered to be bothered by them!

Okay, if I have to, there are two complaints about this film. First off, I found it kind of lame that they handwaved the other toys not being there by saying they had been sold to other people. True, it made sense and they wouldn't have had much to do anyway, but after seeing the happy toy community in the first film it just came across as rather harsh. Besides, that includes Bo Peep, voiced by Annie Potts. She was never all that important but she was one of the few other toys to actually have a constant speaking roll.

Second, I saw it in 3D and saw no difference. It looked very nice, but I could only pinpoint one moment where I felt like it was in 3D. I like 3D, so it annoys me when studios just slap it over a film NOT designed for it, the result is just a better looking picture, as opposed the third dimension that we were promised.

And that is it, any other problems with the film can be forgiven. ANY of them!

I'm not going to give you a summary and spoil it, but I will say that there is a very heartwarming moment at the end. This moment gives the series a satisfying ending, and I would wish for it no other way. And after finally seeing the final ending of part of such a big part of my childhood, I am not ashamed to admit there were a few actual tears. It would have probably seemed like a very deep moment for me if I had not been wearing a large pair of 3D glasses.

So is it better than the other films? Well quite frankly I refuse to say. The original is the best by far, but none of these films are bad and all of them are excellent. I just can't say that any are better than each other (Except the original...contradictive, eh?).

Like the other films, this gets a 10/10 from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment